Thursday, September 10, 2015

What is a successful business

A successful business can be defined in numerous ways, some of them are listed below - 

1. something which generates huge turnover 
2. Something which gives you high recognition or prestige in your social life 
3. Something which has very high profit margin 
4. Something which delivers exceptional return on equity 
5. Something which is scalable 
6. Something that requires very less amount of involvement, either in terms of time or personal presence 
7. Something that's needs one time setup, does not needs intervention on regular basis 
8. Blah
9. Blah blah 
10. Blah blah blah

My definition of a successful business is little more personal.

For me a business where -

1. I can make use of my brain and my knowledge (satisfaction, do I need to say more) 
2. I make good profit margin (this way, I take good care of my family) 
3. NO pressure of achieving any target (I am extremely competitive and I strive for betterment all the time, so I don't need extra pressure) 
4. I can make my own time table (most of times) 
5. Doesn't require my personal presence ( so that I can travel where ever I want to) 
6. Gives me lots of free time (this is most important as I need time to fullfill my hobbies ) 
7. Doesn't require daily commuting of more than 20 -  30 minutes ( I hate wasting time) 
8. Doesn't require me to face new people all the time ( I am introvert)

Now with time and sometimes out of special situations, I may need to compromise on few of above points but in general out of 365 days, 250+ days should be run as per above parameters (that's like
70% of times).

Now why I have made my list?

See, first list is defined by society / family / peer pressure / expectations from others.

I believe everyone is unique and one should make his own list.

The first list is living someone's else life and one will always struggle to fulfill someone's else shoes (either emotionally or physically or maybe both).

In my teens, I always thought that success Means doing business of very big scale and making a lot of money. I never thought of what should be done after making a lot of money.

After reading tons of books (Autobiography and many More) and speaking to a lot of elder people, I have realized that making money should be a by product of what you are doing. Previously, I have mixed it with goal.

Our goal should be living a fulfilling life, where

1. We get time to pursue our interest and hobbies 
2. We get chance to follow our dream 
3. We get to choose with whom I should be spending most of my time (ability to choose colleague or coworkers) 
4. Free time to travel and explore the world 5. Spending time with loved ones (family and friends)

Now, the question arise, whether what I am doing right now (family business) is able to give me what I desire? 
That would be a great discussion for another post.

IMO, like this, everyone should have a personal definition of business he wants to do.

This way when they start something and face problems, they won't feel pressure or they will be more Control of their actions as well as reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment